iRAD: Integrated Real-Time Active Data
iRAD stands for ‘integrated real-time active data’. It is an innovative new software that lets doctors share important patient information between hospitals, general practice and other connected healthcare professionals.
In an Australian first, SWSPHN has led the development and localisation of iRAD to the healthcare sector to achieve an integrated health system that is fit for purpose.
iRAD enables informed decision making and high-quality patient outcomes by providing secure, timely and accurate sharing of patient information between health providers.
iRAD provides a single, clear view of a patient’s key information to participating healthcare professionals, in real-time, from trusted health providers.
How does iRAD work?
iRAD delivers an advanced semantic Interoperability system. This is the ability of a healthcare system to share information and have that information properly interpreted by the receiving system in the same sense as intended by the transmitting system.
iRAD allows different medical software systems to send and receive information, to understand information and to interpret and use information. Information is only shared for patients that have agreed to be part of the iRAD program.
Example of iRAD in action
Adam has consented to sharing his information through the iRAD program at Practice 1 and Practice 2.
Adam has an allergy to penicillin. Practice 1 has noted Adam’s allergy in their records. Adam attends Practice 2. Both Practice 1 and Practice 2 use iRAD to share patient information. Because both practices have iRAD installed, and are using it with Adam’s consent, healthcare providers at Practice 2 will be notified of Adam’s penicillin allergy when Adam’s clinical file is opened at Practice 2.
Benefits of iRAD for health professionals:
- Share referrals, letters and care plans easily. Facilitate better clinical decisions across the health sector
- Improves patient safety and quality of care
- Reduce the risk of preventable hospital admissions
- iRAD is a simple, easy to use, low-risk solution that adds value to General Practice with no change to clinical workflows
- Single sign-on, no additional logins to access patient information or to share information
- Support a collaborative approach to healthcare coordination to enhance patient outcomes and reduces clinical error
- Tangible reductions in patient pathology and radiology testing
- iRAD provides an efficient means of communication between all sectors of the health system that are not currently exchanging information
- Presents providers with critical information in an easy to read layout
- Promotes accountability and eliminates dangerous gaps during transitions
- Reduces the time spent in administrative functions and follow-up activities
Learn more about iRAD
Clinical information for health professionals
Benefits of iRAD for patients:
- iRAD improves patient safety and quality of care as patients will no longer need to remember complex information about their health.
- Sharing of pathology and radiology results can speed up clinical decision making, reducing the need for more testing.
- Clinical information is available even when the clinic where the initial consultation took place is closed.
- iRAD utilises as an opt-in consent model for patient consent. A patient must provide a one-time consent at each iRAD location, ensuring that only your healthcarers and hospitals can view your information.
Get in touch
To learn more about iRAD or to find out how you can get involved with the program, please send the iRAD team an email [email protected], someone from the digital team will be in contact.