Consumers, carers and aged care providers highlighted the issues, challenges and service gaps facing older people in South Western Sydney at SWSPHN’s series of four Local Health Forums held in May and June.
The inaugural forums gave participants the opportunity to:
- Learn more about the focus and activities of South Western Sydney PHN
- Learn about the Care Finder program, a Commonwealth-funded aged care initiative aimed at connecting local seniors to appropriate services
- Share insights and perspectives which will guide the development of local, face-to-face supports to help older people navigate access to aged care services
A total of 86 locals participated in the face-to-face forums at Bankstown, Campbelltown, Warwick Farm and Mittagong, while an additional 50 people have so far provided their feedback through a survey.
SWSPHN is still working through the massive amount of community input, however, some of the suggestions from participants have highlighted the importance of:
- GPs understanding and supporting the program
- Needs of all diverse groups to be considered including access to bilingual staff and culturally appropriate services
- Collaborating with local councils, religious groups and other community organisations
- Integration of Care Finder program with health, aged care and other systems
Once community consultation has been finalised, SWSPHN will open a tender process for service providers, with service delivery expected to begin in January next year.
Save the date!
Local Health Forums are a new opportunity for exploring service and health needs gaps in our community. Forums will be held twice yearly in each location, focusing on a different topic event round, and the next round of forums start in August and will focus on the assessing the health needs of our region. Keep an eye on HealthChat for event booking details
Wednesday, 17 August, Campbelltown/Camden at Rydges, Campbelltown.
Thursday, 1 September, Bankstown, at Bankstown Library
Wednesday, 7 September, Fairfield/Liverpool event, at Holiday Inn, Warwick Farm
Wednesday 14 September, Southern Highlands event, at Mittagong RSL Club